Wednesday 30 October 2013

What would you say to them?

This week I had the opportunity to share a Bible study with one of the two HIV women's support groups that raises moringa for Capstone. What a blessing to be able to share God's Word and encourage these hard working ladies. On second thought though- what would I say to them? What would you say to encourage them?
I kept coming back to something inspiring that I have seen in these women. We have been visiting these HIV women's groups almost every week since we arrived here in August and every time I see the same thing. These women exude true Christian joy! They always have a smile on their faces. When you hear about their circumstances and their obstacles in life though, you wonder how they manage to put a smile on at all. One lady this week walked 10 km (6.2 miles) on a dusty gravel road during the hottest part of the day with a heavy sack of morninga slouched over her shoulder and her first response when she arrived after two hours was, “Praise God, I can't wait to hear your message today pastor!” But then again, I am not talking about happiness. I am talking about Christian joy. Happiness is something that is based on our circumstances. We are happy when life is good and we are sad or even angry when life is difficult. But, Christian joy is something completely different. It is something that nothing can take away. It is not based on our circumstances. True Christian joy comes from knowing Jesus and what He has done for us through the Cross.
That is why my Bible study for these women was about encouragement from the Apostle Paul. He is known as the greatest missionary ever! He planted churches all around the known world by walking thousands of miles. You would think that by being God's servant that nothing EVER went wrong and he ALWAYS had a good day. Not true- when we read 2 Corinthians 11:23-30. Here Paul doesn't just share with us his bad day, but a series of unfortunate events throughout his walk as a Christian. He writes:

“I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak...If I must BOAST, I will BOAST of the things that show my weakness.”
What? Paul is boasting about his hardships!? He is proud to have suffered difficult times? He isn't angry with God? What is going on? You have to read the rest of the story in the book of Philippians. This is the book that Paul wrote during his time in prison. In this small four chapter book, Paul mentions JOY more than any other book of the Bible. He is in the middle of his worst hardship and all he can write about is “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” How? Well, Paul explains it a couple verses later when he states, “I can do ALL things through HIM who gives me strength.” With Jesus we have a hope and a future, despite the circumstances we are facing right now. Even when things are as bad as they can get, Jesus has won for us eternal life. Jesus has done it, so it is not left up to wonder or speculation. Our destiny IS secure. The message of Christianity is about HOPE in the midst of DESPAIR. It's a paradox for the paradox of the human condition. When all hope is lost, we don't give in to despair because the same Jesus entered the despair of this world by being crucified, died and buried. Yet, when all hope was lost He did something that has never been done before or since in the history of the world- He rose again to life. He broke the stronghold of despair with the triumph of hope. When all hope seems lost, we put our trust in Jesus who has never failed us. This is what Christian joy is all about.
Today, these women came from far and wide, with numerous circumstances against them, but they all had one thing in common- a smile revealing their joy. They have taught me an invaluable lesson of faith in these few months. God's Word calls all of us to continue to fight the good fight of faith, despite our circumstances. When we are having a bad day or a bad week, we can always find joy in knowing that we are children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment