Wednesday 30 October 2013

Victory



This mission trip is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.  Often with great challenges come great revelations.  And, I’ve certainly had my fair share of those.  One of the first amazing feats was when Joel and I decided to embark on this mission we were greeted with so much support.  It was overwhelming, and humbling. Receiving monetary and prayerful support from so many people makes you think, “who am I to receive such a blessing?” I realized through this that if Immanuel wants to support something they will!  We are all stronger together than apart. 
Jen & Tabitha at the Mohaya moringa growers group meeting.
Joel and I also had so much support from members of Timothy Lutheran in Missouri,  members from Good Shepherd in New Fairfield, family, and friends.  It’s pretty difficult to pay bills, water plants, and keep cars running from Kenya, so I really appreciate my Mom and Dad for helping with that.  I have a dear friend who is watching over the parsonage while we are gone as well.  There are so many working parts to a mission trip.  And, we thank you all for making this work!
I don’t have to worry about my home in Connecticut because our family is taking care of it.  I don’t have to worry about finding funds for food, electric, and water- our church family already took care of that.  I have friends reaching out to me and sustaining my need of being a social creature (which is way more important than I would have ever guessed). Because of you, I can focus on the task at hand. 
Capstone staff member Fred & Joel. 
And, the task is going well!  Dan and Patty are touring together successfully in the United States, and Capstone Ministries continues to reach out to street children every week here in Kisumu. 
I can’t stress enough how important your prayers are to us.  I’ve had the privilege of meeting missionaries from around the world here, and we all agree that spiritual warfare is heavy in Africa.  Satan is an opportunist, and you are a prime target as a missionary because there are many more ways that he can attack. Fear of the unknown, exhaustion from unfamiliar surroundings, and the frustration of being out of your home leaves a wide open door for attack on our mental and physical strength.  God continues to carry me through all of these hurdles, and knowing your prayers are with us fuels my spirit.  The Lord has shown Joel and me great victory here over fear, exhaustion, and frustration.  I want the Lord’s  victory to be a celebration for you too because it is through you that He has accomplished this. 

“God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.”
Psalm 46: 1-3

2 comments:

  1. What an excellent experience you are having. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Blessings,
    Dean, Deb, Kaitlin and Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hollrahs! We will see you soon! Blessings to you.

      Delete