Friday 6 September 2013

Do Everything

It has been just over one month in Kenya, and we’re finally catching on.  It has been a challenging month, thus far.  We’ve learned how to drive, and how to look to the left side of the road first instead of the right while crossing the street.  We’ve created a mental map of Kisumu, and are now able to go to the grocery store, church, and the main street in town without Patty’s directions.  I’ve learned how to process salaries and balance accounts for Capstone weekly and monthly. 

We had this powerful and emotional send off to Africa at the end of July, and now … I can successfully cook a meal!  This all sounds anticlimactic, I know. 

I can’t help but think of the song by Steven Curtis Chapman, “Do Everything.”  The lyric goes:

“Do everything you do to the glory of the One Who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face and tell the story of grace .”


This song stems from 1 Corinthians 10:31; “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” Yes, Joel and I are missionaries for Jesus Christ here in Kenya, but we are all missionaries for Him whether we are in Kenya or Connecticut. 

I miss home dearly.  I miss my family – my church family, my friends, and my immediate family.  I find myself grasping on to anything that reminds me of home.  So far, I’ve found this really great bar of chocolate, and a cozy spot on the couch.  And, today we stopped at a cafe that has green tea!  I used to drink it every day at home, but it’s not as common here.  The waitress didn’t realize it, but she made my day by doing such a small thing – making tea.  The small services we do matter just as much as the big ones because we are representing the Lord in all of it.  We are sent out as missionaries every day to represent our God.  So, just like so many have told us that they are praying for Joel and me, we are also praying for you.

Thank you and God bless you!

 ~Jen

2 comments:

  1. You ar missed although we know that this is where God wants Jen and Pastor Joel to be at this time in their lives. God has a tendency to place each of us in the apprporiate work/missionary settings during various times in our lives.
    Thanks for the updates as we continue to pray for your ministry and just think you will return to the states in a couple of months for a great reunion with your family and friends.
    Continued Blessings,
    The Hollrahs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete