Monday 19 August 2013

The Capstone Staff: Well Done Good and Faithful Servants

Benedict, Jael, Patty, Isaiah, Dan, Joseph, George, and Berline
Capstone has a staff of seven Kenyans working to accomplish its mission to rescue street children. Berline is the Operations Supervisor for the office, who oversees projects from start to finish. Isaiah is a Lutheran pastor who is a welfare officer on the streets and coordinates Bible study groups. Zadok is an intern, who just finished his final year at the Lutheran seminary here in Kisumu and will be working part-time with Capstone in the future. Benedict, George, Jael and Joseph are all field workers who rescue children off the streets, make followup visits with families in their homes, run the Capstone Youth Center and help complete all the other projects that Capstone is currently involved in. 

The following is an interview of a Capstone staff member, Berline, so that you can see what Capstone is doing through her eyes.
Berline is the Operations Supervisor for Capstone Ministries

Where do you come from (region and tribe)? 
I grew up in the village of Siaya and am part of the Luo tribe of Western Kenya.


How many brothers/sisters? 
I am the only child of my mother. My father had another wife who had children, so I have three stepbrothers and two stepsisters. (2.5 million in Kenya are part of a polygamous family. It stems from Africa's tribal history.)

How many children do you have? 
I am a single mother and have one daughter, Mellisa. She is nine years old and beautiful.

What church do you belong to? 
I grew up Anglican, but now I am Pentecostal.

What do you like to do in your spare time? 
I like to read. I read everything. I love to learn. I also like to travel and make new friends.

What brought you to Capstone? 
At first, I just needed a job. I interviewed with Capstone and they hired me. After working with Capstone for a while, I found that it was more than just a another job. I didn't really want to work with street children, but it is fulfilling. There can be a lot of heartbreak, but it pushes me to think outside the box for answers. Capstone is more than just a job to me.

How long have your worked for Capstone? 
Less than three years.


What is your role at Capstone? 
My title is Operations Supervisor. I oversee the other people's roles here at Capstone. I make sure that the child and family visits and followup are done well and in accordance with our vision. I help find new opportunities that can help Capstone. I encourage and counsel other staff. My degree is in Psychology.

What good is Capstone doing in your community? 
It helps counsel families and bring reconciliation. There can be very dysfunctional families with street children that we bring order and peace to. We have helped many children and families to become what they were intended to be. Street children waste themselves and don't achieve what they should.


What do you like about Capstone (or why do you work for Capstone)? 
I am fulfilled. Capstone has taught me patience with families, street children and staff. I am confident that I know how to do things in really difficult situations.

What is the hardest part of your specific job? 
There can be a lot of misunderstanding with families and street children. There is always work to be done and followup visits to be made.

What is the most rewarding part of your specific job? 
Quite a lot. For example, a street boy who was rejected by his family, now is accepted by his family because of Capstone. We have a lot of these cases. I am excited about our Moringa project. It is growing and we are getting better. It is good to see how hard work pays off in the end.

What is poverty? 
Poverty is a state of mind. You are only as poor as you think. With poverty there is a lot of underutilized potential. Sometimes the answer is simple, set up a garden or look for a job. Poverty is psychological. There may be a lack in things, but it is more about not feeling sorry for yourself.

How can the poor be helped (or poverty alleviated)? 
Poverty is a huge mountain. It effects everything about a person. It is crushing because people feel completely helpless. The solution is more than bringing a truck load of material goods and handing them out to poor people. It is more than giving them everything they need. In a few days, the poor person will go back to what they were before, being poor.


Any other comments or advice? 
Capstone is doing a lot of good in Kenya and the local communities. I'm confident that with the support of everyone who has a heart for helping that Capstone will reach its objectives to rescue street children and reconcile families.

No comments:

Post a Comment